.org to .com migration deadline?

I stumbled across this email from Travis CI on another project’s tracker (emphasis mine):

In an effort to ensure that all of our users - whether you build open-source, public or private repositories - receive regular feature updates, security patches and UX/UI enhancements, we are announcing that travis-ci.org will be officially closed down completely on December 31st, 2020, allowing us to focus all our efforts on bringing new features and fixes to travis-ci.com and all of our awesome users like yourself on the travis-ci.com domain.

https://mailchi.mp/3d439eeb1098/travis-ciorg-is-moving-to-travis-cicom

I didn’t receive this email; couldn’t find anything on https://blog.travis-ci.com; and the FAQ doesn’t mention the new year deadline, nor any other deadline:

Please could you confirm this deadline, and publicise it more widely? For example, send the mail out to more people, put it on your FAQ and blog and other channels.

Thank you!

6 Likes

I wonder why they don’t use the announcement feature in the web ui actually. That’s a super convenient way to bring a message to either all of just affected users.

2 Likes

This was surprising to me as well. And with the performance issues (Builds hang in queued state), it looks like we need to prioritize the migration work ASAP, not just “by Dec 31st”.

3 Likes

I didn’t get a notification about this deadline either.

Was I supposed to just panic on January 1 when everything simply stopped working? (Not that .org has been working very well this past week, with queue depths of 7k+ Linux builds…)

1 Like

The migration FAQ has been updated:

Q. When will the migration from travis-ci.org to travis-ci.com be completed? #

A. In an effort to ensure that all of our users - whether you build open-source, public or private repositories - receive regular feature updates, security patches and UX/UI enhancements, we are announcing that travis-ci.org will be officially closed down completely no later than December 31st, 2020, allowing us to focus all our efforts on bringing new features and fixes to travis-ci.com and all of our awesome users like yourself on the travis-ci.com domain.

Q. What will happen to travis-ci.org after December 31st, 2020? #

A. Travis-ci.org will be switched to a read-only platform, allowing you to see your jobs build history from all repositories previously connected to travis-ci.org.

Thank you for clarification. I still recommend Travis sends a mail out to more people, puts it on the FAQ and blog and posts to other channels, but marking as solved.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is there a plan to stop Travis requesting read / write access on travis-ci.com login?