Android builds default to Precise, which is 2 years EOL

Starting a few days ago, our project’s builds have been failing with a glibc version error.

The reason turns out to be that they’re running on Ubuntu precise. That release is from 2012, and it went EOL over 2 years ago in 2017.

Previously (example) our builds ran on Trusty. Now the environment reports an odd mix of Xenial (newer) and Precise (older) – for example:

instance: travis-job-0e355844-d892-46eb-b4ef-60702acd2233 precise-android-stable-alternative (via amqp)
Build dist: xenial
Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
Release:	12.04
Codename:	precise

I know you’re migrating from Trusty to Xenial (thanks!), and from a previous thread I understand you don’t yet have a Xenial image for language: android.

That’s fine – I’m sure that takes some work to do. But until then, would you please keep running Android builds on a Trusty image, instead of moving backward to Precise?

Now that I’ve dug into all this and understand this much, I’m going to fix it for our project by adding dist: trusty – that seems to give us the same old Trusty image, instead of the Precise image that’s labelled as Xenial. But it would be good for the next person to get the same thing without having to also debug this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed report.

We acknowledge that this is a side-effect of changing our default distribution from Trusty to Xenial. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This is tracked internally and hopefully we’ll be able to release a change soon that will prevent language: android builds from running on our Precise image.

Thank you for your patience!

1 Like