Will builds' logs be migrated upon .org -> .com migration?

Hey,

I’m considering migrating a repository from .org to .com. Unfortunately, there seems to be some contradictory information in the docs regarding build history.

In the documentation here it states that build history will be migrated. However, in the modal that appears in the settings on travis-ci.com to confirm the migration of the repo, it says “Please note that your build history will not be migrated at this time. Until then, you can access the existing build history at travis-ci.org.”

I would assume that the latter is the case, but I’d be interested to hear from someone who already went through the migration process what happens to the build history.

Thanks!

3 Likes

It’s still the case that history is not fully migrated. The old builds are shown, but not their logs.

Is there a target for when it will be migrated?

When ready, will already-migrated repos have the history back-filled, or will only new migrations have history migrated?

2 Likes

Confirming what Hugo says.

In https://travis-ci.com/github/native-api/test_travis/builds, builds #423 (the last one at https://travis-ci.org/github/native-api/test_travis/builds) and earlier are present but not their logs.
The UI says: “There was an error while trying to fetch the log.”

2 Likes

Supposedly, .org is going to shut down in about two months. What are the odds that we have working log migration by then?

Bueller…?

I emailed support:

Second, this is a blocker for migrating.

When migrating a repo from .org to .com there’s a warning:

“Please note that your build history will not be migrated at this time. Until then, you can access the existing build history at travis-ci.org.”

Is there a target for when it will be migrated?

When ready, will already-migrated repos have the history back-filled, or will only new migrations have history migrated?

Reply:

Unfortunately, since we don’t have ETA for the migration build logs, I would like to confirm that you will be able to access your build history on travis-ci.org but your current builds will be happening on travis-ci.com.

1 Like

Frustrating that your support rep ignored the second question, about back-filling log history once it’s able to be migrated. Maybe I’ll send my own ticket and see if I can get that answered.

Edit: Quick response, same non-answer: logs won’t migrate, but will remain accessible on .org in read-only mode. No commitment to fixing this for real and having all logs on .com it seems.

I suppose if they were to migrate the past logs to .com, any existing links to those logs (or log lines) – e.g. in this forum – would get broken.

Counterpoint: If they migrated everything including logs from .org to .com, then .org doesn’t even need to remain up as an application in read-only mode. The entire legacy infrastructure could be shut down and replaced by a few simple redirection rules at the CDN layer.

I don’t see how copying stuff to another site would break anything whatsoever.

IfWhen travis-ci.org is finally shut down, any links to it will become invalid anyway – that’s what happens when a site is shut down :slight_smile: – so that’s hardly a stumbling block.