Support for Cygwin or WSL?

Hello,
Thanks a lot for adding Windows support!
Any plan to add Cygwin and/or WSL?
Cygwin seems to slow to install even with a travis_wait 30

Example use case: test ansible in Windows… https://travis-ci.org/juju4/ansible-harden-windows/jobs/444187243

Thanks

Hi @juju

I will look at building a new image with WSL preinstalled. This should be available by Monday.

Thanks a lot Josh! So fast :smiley:

I’ve been hoping to utilise WSL on a Travis-CI build so I can test Ansible roles for Windows. I’ve been able to get WSL installed and running with https://github.com/jborean93/travis-ci-win-ansible/blob/master/.travis.yml but unfortunately it takes around 10 minutes to install the Ubuntu 18.04 distro on top of WSL which is probably a bit too long for my liking. Is there a possibility of including a distro by default or even selecting one as part of a build environment so I can save some time here?

Would it be possible to have cygwin be the primary shell instead of Git Bash? Git Bash doesn’t have a package manager to install dependencies like automake. WSL is ok for some uses, but it doesn’t help when trying to build GNU based tools for use with the Windows filesystem.

1 Like

I’m familiar with chocolatey but AFAIK, WSL requires a reboot to be fully enabled.
Also, bootstrapping WSL or Cygwin is taking time on your test run. I do bootstrap cygwin+ansible in appveyor currently and lose 10min on each run.

There are also other considerations like mentioned here.

powershell script creating certificates with openssl not working under travis/git-bash but it does in appveyor

For now, I’m waiting on better support of direct powershell to continue my testing of travis/windows

Right, but chocolatey doesn’t have anywhere near a complete selection of GNU libraries when compared to cygwin or msys. The libraries that are available are 8 years out of date.

I wasn’t able to call into cygwin from the git for windows bash due to a mismatch with the cygwin1.dll files. There is a similar problem with msys.