Setting path variable in windows os

Hi,
I’m trying to set windows os environment variable as:
(* in the before_install part>>)

• powershell “Env:path += ;C:\Users\travis\build\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset.3.9.1208.0\tools\wix”

it doesn’t seem to work, I get “The term ‘Env:path’ is not recognized”
can you please advise me how to do it? guess I miss something here.

this the link to the build: https://travis-ci.com/AviramNahon/oxygen-ide/jobs/163867060
this is the response:
$ powershell “Env:path += ;C:\Users\travis\build\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset.3.9.1208.0\tools\wix”
The command “powershell “Env:path += ;C:\Usersraviuild\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset.3.9.1208.0ools\wix”” failed and exited with 1 during .
Your build has been stopped.
Env:path : The term ‘Env:path’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• Env:path += ;C:\Users\travis\build\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset …
  • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Env:path:String) , CommandNotFoundException
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

C:\Users\travis\build\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset.3.9.1208.0\tools\wix : The term
‘C:\Users\travis\build\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset.3.9.1208.0\tools\wix’ is not recognized as the name of a
cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify
that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:14

• … nv:path += ;C:\Users\travis\build\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset. …
  • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Users\travis…208.0\tools\wix:String) , CommandNotFoundException
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

well, I did manage to pull it out by:
export PATH=$PATH:";C:\Users\travis\build\AviramNahon\oxygen-ide\WiX.Toolset.3.9.1208.0\tools\wix" instead.
still I don’t understand why the “ENV:path” way doesn’t work.

Your code is not correct Powershell. See e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/714877/setting-windows-powershell-path-variable .

Also note that Travis executes the script with Git Bash which will process the command line according to Bash rules before passing it to the program.

Not sure what you mean.
In the link you gave it’s similar to what I did:
env:Path += “;C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin”
also other PS commands do work very well.

anyway, export PATH=$PATH:";C:\Users\travis\build…" works for me (can be verified by other PS command:
powershell “(Get-ChildItem env:path).Value”)

I’m having trouble figuring out how to add to the PATH environment variable after installing Strawberry Perl. I tried:

set "PATH=C:\\Strawberry\\perl\\bin;%PATH%"

But I can’t tell if it worked, because echo %PATH% emits the literal string %PATH%, not the contents of the environment variable. So I tried:

export "PATH=/c/Strawberry/perl/bin:$PATH"

And that appears to work when I echo $PATH, but when I run perl -v, it appears to find c:\Perl\bin, not C:\Strawberry\perl\bin.

I don’t believe I’m using PowerShell, because I don’t run powershell. So what environment is this, exactly, and how do I convince the shell to add a directory to the path?

Okay, The export variant does actually work. Glad to have that figured out. See this example as I try to work things out. Now trying to get cpanm to execute. It hangs. :frowning:

1 Like