Recently building for older Elixir versions seems to be broken

Greetings!

Recently the builds of some FOSS Elixir libraries that I wrote started erroring on older Elixir versions. See for instance [Qqwy/elixir-sequences] with errors as follows:

It seems that older OTP<->Elixir-combinations that existed within Travis have been removed somewhere between the past three months, and the build process breaks on them.
This breakage occured because of a change on the Travis side: rerunning the build for the unaltered code that was last built three months ago will now suddenly make it fail.

What has changed? I have roughly ten-twenty open source projects being hit by this, so I would be really happy with any and all solutions. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

Could you give me slightly more information?
Why would the change to Xenial as default OS version break this? Shouldn’t the required OTP and Elixir versions be expected to be available there as well?

As can be seen from the build log, a language interpreter is installed from a prebuilt archive downloaded from Travis’ cloud storage. It’s not unexpected that they don’t build older versions for newer distributions.

Thank you very much for your response!

(I was on vacation; therefore the rather late reply).

You are completely correct: that was the problem, and I was able to resolve it by manually specifying dist: trusty.

Hopefully other people facing the same problem will be able to find this topic for future reference. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear your builds are back on their feet thanks to @native-api’s help!