Pip in Python on Windows

Aside from full Python support, maybe we could have pip in the Windows Python install? I would like to be able to --user install a package.

Cheers,
-kyle

Once you install Python via Chocolatey and fixup your PATH, you can run pip install directly (without --user). See Feedback from Windows integration for a CMake + Qt + C + Python + Perl project for an example (search for Python is not installed by default, refreshenv not working).

Of course it would be even better if Python was installed by default and the PATH hack was not necessary in the first place.

Thanks for the response. I’m working on a tool so we can actually matrix Python projects across Python versions and operating systems despite Travis only supporting Python on Linux. It’d be nice to just be able to use the system provided Python. I am installing the particular version of Python needed for the testing via the python.org exe’s rather than Chocolatey because it’s not clear that they actually have the various versions when I try to search for them.

An example of installing both Python 2.7, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 on Travis CI Windows and then running parallel builds that install and run the flake8 linter on all Python files: https://github.com/cclauss/itinerant-tester-windows