Elixir support on Windows

I was surprised when Travis failed to run my builds because Elixir isn’t supported - it is trivial enough to install the language tools via Chocolatey during the build without requiring explicit support.

In any case, this should be trivial to add, and would benefit a lot of community tools in Elixir that currently lack good Windows testing. Adding support is as simple as the following shell script:

choco install erlang
choco install elixir

export MIX_ENV=test
export PATH=/C/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/Elixir/bin:/C/ProgramData/chocolatey/bin:$PATH

refreshenv

Here’s hoping we can get support soon!

1 Like

Hi @bitwalker

Great to see you here!

We would love to add a full featured Erlang and Elixir testing setup.

Would you be interested in helping us add multi version support? Specifically, we need to know how to install versions on the fly.

Thanks a bundle

Josh

choco does support installing multiple versions sideBySide https://chocolatey.org/docs/commandsinstall
but maybe it needs a bit of tweaking to put them into separate directories, and to set the environment PATH accordingly

Yeah, I think using Choco might be a bit more painful than rolling it ourselves.

With a bit of guidance we should be able to build it into https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build

I’d be happy to help, though I think we should probably try and make Chocolatey work first, rather than reinventing the wheel - I know a lot of effort has gone into those packages to make them work well, and I know the maintainer of them as well, so we can probably ask for a hand if we need something specific.

That said, you would know best how this stuff fits into your stack, so if you think choco is the wrong level to be thinking about this, I’m happy to provide what guidance I can!

1 Like

I would like to offer any support I can offer for this as well (and bump the topic :slight_smile: ).

@josh Is there anything myself or @ckhrysze can do to help on this? Just let us know what you need and we can lend a hand.

1 Like