Bundle install started failing on Ruby build

I have a ruby build. Sometime overnight, bundler started failing:

$ bundle install --jobs=3 --retry=3 --deployment
Traceback (most recent call last):
	4: from /home/travis/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.5.1/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `<main>'
	3: from /home/travis/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.5.1/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `eval'
	2: from /home/travis/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.5.1/bin/bundle:23:in `<main>'
	1: from /home/travis/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.5.1/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems.rb:308:in `activate_bin_path'
/home/travis/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.5.1/lib/ruby/2.5.0/rubygems.rb:289:in `find_spec_for_exe': can't find gem bundler (>= 0.a) with executable bundle (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
The command "eval bundle install --jobs=3 --retry=3 --deployment " failed. Retrying, 2 of 3.

To get around this, I’ve started manually installing bundler in the before_install, which isn’t a big deal. I’m just wondering what changed, and why?

Key details of my .travis.yml file:

sudo: required
language: ruby
rvm: 2.5.1

addons:
  apt:
    sources:
    - precise-pgdg-9.5
    packages:
    - postgresql-9.5
    - postgresql-contrib-9.5
  postgresql: 9.5
  chrome: stable

I suspect

without seeing your build itself, can’t say more.

Could you share the link/URL to your build where this is happening so we can confirm?

It’s a private repo, but since you’re staff I assume you’ll be able to access it?

https://travis-ci.com/WeeverApps/process-builder/builds/120445939

@native-api was right! Your build got migrated over to our Xenial image because you don’t specify a dist: in your .travis.yml file. Sorry for the inconvenience.

You should be able to get your builds back to green by adding dist: trusty to your .travis.yml file.