Travis doesn't decrypt secure environment variables

Hi there,

I’ve been experiencing an issue today with a Travis build which previously worked fine with a secure variable, however I’ve recently had to change the content of the variable, and it now no longer decrypts the variable content successfully.

The build in question is here:
https://travis-ci.org/github/epirus-io/epirus-cli/jobs/688882890

I’ve logged in to the Travis CLI (v1.9.1), and added the environment variable using the following command:

travis encrypt GITHUB_PERSONAL_ACCESS_TOKEN="<value>" --org --add

This runs successfully, and results in the following output:

However, travis does not seem to be decrypting the name of the variable, nor does it export it anywhere in the build console output when the build is triggered.

I should also mention that I’ve tried making the secure variable a list (by prepending - ), to no avail.

A likely explanation is that your encrypted value is wrong. Try explicitly specifying the repository name with the -r flag: travis encrypt -r epirus-io/epirus-cli …

Alternatively, you can define the secrets in the Settings page.

1 Like

Hey @BanzaiMan

Specifying the repository name with -r did indeed work. However I’ve always been running the encrypt command inside the project directory (root dir of the git repo), so I’m a little confused as to why this step was needed, as the docs imply that it’s only required if you’re running the command outside of the repo.

Thanks for the guidance!

Imprint