Issue with git version and git-email

My build environment used to work, but then it seems you updated the version of the git package and I get this error:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

236 git-email : Depends: git (< 1:2.7.4-.)

If I don’t install the git-email package my tests fail.

So how am I supposed to do the git-email tests if I can’t install the git-email package? I also can’t specify a specific version of git, can I?

Hey @felipec,

Can you provide the following? /usr/bin/time brew update --verbose --debug --force?

@Montana:

/usr/bin/time brew update --verbose --debug --force
/usr/bin/time: cannot run brew: No such file or directory
Command exited with non-zero status 127
0.00user 0.00system 0:00.00elapsed ?%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 1320maxresident)k
0inputs+0outputs (0major+30minor)pagefaults 0swaps
The command "/usr/bin/time brew update --verbose --debug --force" failed and exited with 127 during .

You might need to add the ppa:git-core/ppa package repository.

Travis CI’s Xenial images contain the git package installed from this PPA, so it’s considerably newer than the git package in the standard Ubuntu package repositories. Nowadays these third-party apt-repositories are removed from the Xenial images (to reduce the risk of unrelated interference and faster ‘apt-get update’) [src], and the version of the git-email package coming from the standard Ubuntu package repositories doesn’t match the much more recent version of the git package installed from the PPA, resulting in this dependecy error.

Hey @felipec,

For some reason I thought this was tagged on macOS. Good point, you may want to try and run add-apt-repository ppa:git-core/ppa # apt update; apt install git this will ensure you have the latest git packages so there are no package collisions.

That did the trick.

However, the Xenial documentation seems to be wrong, it says to do:

dist: xenial
addons:
  apt:
    sources:
      - ppa:git-core/ppa
    packages:
      - git-ppa

However, it should be:

addons:
  apt:
    sources:
      - git-core
    packages:
      - git

It’s not ppa:git-core/ppa, it’s "sourceline": "ppa:git-core/ppa", or the alias git-core. And the package is not git-ppa; it’s git.

That does work, except that git-email for some reason doesn’t depend on libmailtools-perl as it should (debian bug #895874).

So in the end this is what I did:

addons:
  apt:
    sources:
      - git-core
    packages:
      - libmailtools-perl
      - git-email
1 Like

Hey @felipec,

Great to hear it did the trick for you! Thank you for sharing your process also.