I want to use shell script output as a input to the makefile variable

The makefile looks like like below:

BASE_JOB_IMAGE := $(shell ./fetchimageversion.sh >> image.txt)
FILE ?= image.txt
BASE_JOB_IMAGE_NAME=`cat $(FILE)`

docker build \
    --pull \
    --no-cache \
    -t ${APPLICATION}_${TF_VER} \
    --build-arg baseimage=$(BASE_JOB_IMAGE_NAME)

But I am not getting the expected output in travis logs.

docker build \
    --pull \
    --no-cache \
    --build-arg baseimage=`cat image.txt` \

When used as BASE_JOB_IMAGE := $(shell ./fetchimageversion.sh) I do see the output of the script output but whole script execution result is set to the variable which also result in error in travis log that’s just blank…

First that can’t be the makefile; you have a target with no recipe. I assume that the docker command is in a recipe. Please be sure to provide enough of an example to constitute a functional test.

Second, when you run make what output do you see? When asking for help it’s best to include the command you typed, and then the output you got (if it’s a lot of output at least show the errors and few lines before it), and explain what you wanted.

You should cut and paste this into your question: “Don’t use screenshots and don’t paraphrase/retype it where you might introduce subtle differences that might completely change the possible problem.”

Third, why do you write the output to a static file but then set a variable and refer to the variable for the rest of the makefile?

Fourth, why do you use ?= to define the filename? Do you expect to allow an environment variable to override the filename? That won’t work if you’re writing to a static filename in the previous command.

Fifth, why are you using append-to >> when writing the file? If the file already exists this means you’ll have multiple lines of content in it, which essentially makes your append-to moot.

Try writing your makefile like this:

FILE = input.txt
BASE_JOB_IMAGE := $(shell ./fetchimageversion.sh >$(FILE))
BASE_JOB_IMAGE_NAME = `cat $(FILE)`

If that doesn’t work, please provide more details as discussed in the first two paragraphs. I still don’t know why you’re going through this extra effort of writing to a file. Why not just keep the output in a variable?

BASE_JOB_IMAGE_NAME := $(shell ./fetchimageversion.sh)