How to skip python download to OSX image -- and avoid download unavailable error

Travis log

I understand that travis does not install python to OSX environment, as per this post. So I am trying to understand how to skip Travis trying to load python, so that I can install miniconda which has its own python installation.

Right now I have a .travis.yml file that is setup for linux and OSX. When I try to run it, everything works for linux but for the OSX builds I get:

Downloading archive: https://storage.googleapis.com/travis-ci-language-archives/python/binaries/osx/10.13/x86_64/python-3.6.tar.bz2

0.13s$ curl -sSf --retry 5 -o python-3.6.tar.bz2 ${archive_url}

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 

Unable to download 3.6 archive. The archive may not exist. Please consider a different version.

The Travis file looks like this:

language: python

- osx
  - linux

python:
  - "3.6"
  - "3.7"
  - "3.8"
install:
  - wget https://repo.continuum.io/miniconda/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh -O miniconda.sh;
  - bash miniconda.sh -b -p $HOME/miniconda
  - source "$HOME/miniconda/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"
  - hash -r
  - conda config --set always_yes yes --set changeps1 no
  - conda update -q conda
  - conda info -a

So I am happy to install my own version of miniconda, but I just need to know how to skip the attempt to build python on Travis. Thanks.

We don’t support language: python on macOS jobs, as indicated in

You’ll need to switch to language: generic for that, and manage the Python runtime.

@BanzaiMan yep, thanks for reply. I am still rather new to Travis, so please bear with me. I understand that Travis does not support python on MacOS. So the first part of your answer is good, that is that I should use generic instead of a specific language.

The part that I am still confused about is how to execute a build with this configuration. Do I need to specify a matrix, do I need to add other options, etc. I was hoping you might have an example of a generic configuration that I could use as a starting point? Thanks.