How to migrate from .org to .com in the light of .org shutting down?

Builds hang in queued state - #6 by Montana :

You may want to consider migrating across to .com sooner rather than later

How do we do that?

You may want to consider migrating across to .com sooner rather than later

How do we do that?

OK, I managed to do this for my repos… I wish I recorded a screencast so I could tell you exactly what I did, becuase it involved some confusing steps, which don’t always match the travis documentation.

But basically, you have to go to:

=> Go to Travis CI - Test and Deploy with Confidence

If you have a ‘migrate’ tab there, it will list your repos on travis-ci.org and let you migrate them.

If you do NOT have a migrate tab and/or it does NOT list your repos there, you may have to:

• “opt-in to travis-ci beta” – it’s REALLY not a “beta” at this point, but you still need to take this step. I don’t remember where I found this button, it MIGHT be on account/repositories. Or you might be able to find it in travis-ci.org somewhere?
  • In one of my accounts, it already had some projects on .com from some time ago but still had others on .org. And they weren’t showing up in the ‘migrate’ tab. To fix this, I had to click on “Manage repositories on github” button on Travis CI - Test and Deploy with Confidence, and then switch between ‘only select repositories’ and ‘all repositories’ and click ‘save’ again (you can wind up back where you started, you just need to click ‘save’), to trigger travis to refresh my list of repos. Then they appared on the “migrate” tab again.

If it is repos in a github organization instead of an individual account, similar but start from https://travis-ci.com/organizations/orgname instead of Travis CI - Test and Deploy with Confidence

1 Like

Thanks for your instructions. I didn’t get if it help to speed up your builds?

Thanks for your instructions. I didn’t get if it help to speed up your builds?

Yes, on travis-ci.org, my builds today were completely stuck. They were all stuck in “queued”, for hours, they never started.

When I switched them over to travis-ci.com, they started functioning normally as expected.

1 Like

@jrochkind Did your build logs migrate over? Curious if anything has changed since the last update to Will builds' logs be migrated upon .org -> .com migration?

Did your build logs migrate over?

I wasn’t super concerned, but let me look. Actually, when I click on “Build History” in the project on travis-ci.com, I do see my entire history, including from before I migrated it over today. So if that’s what you mean, then yes?

Does anyone else think it is disappointing we’re not getting clear answers and documentation on this from travis, and are having to go and try it and ask each other? Yeah. Definitely losing a little bit of faith in travis long-term, considering alternatives.

Yes.

I’m interested in logs, specifically. The history has been proved to migrate over, but others have reported that actually trying to view the log of a build that ran on travis-ci.org after migrating shows an error, no log.

The history has been proved to migrate over, but others have reported that actually trying to view the log of a build that ran on travis-ci.org after migrating shows an error, no log.

Oh hey you are right. I have not been following this (and rarely if ever look at historical logs myself), so did not understand what we were talking about, sorry.

If I click on a build in the history from before the migration, then click on a job in the build, it just shows “There was an error while trying to fetch the log”, it is indeed missing. That’s kind of annoying, I’d rather the history was empty too, then showing a history which in fact won’t give me the logs.

I wouldn’t get to keep historical logs if I abandoned travis for some competitor either though, which is about my only other option, so.

You technically can still access old logs, unless Travis completely shuts down. Whether a project moves to .com or a different CI provider, the logs for builds run on .org will have to be accessed there until they are migrated (if ever). Travis committed to keeping .org up in read-only mode after the migration deadline, at least.