Draft pull requests not being built

Hello, there.

We have an internal discussion on this topic. We have not yet reached a consensus on how to proceed. We’ll post an update when we do.

Thank you!

2 Likes

It definitely does not sound like the expected behaviour to me.

Nor for me. This new github’s feature mostly useless for users of travis-ci.

4 Likes

I am definitely missing this feature too. I want to know if my project builds, and that for every single commit. That’s also what the “continuous” in the CI stands for me :wink:

Currently I am really glad that we have the same tests running on AppVeyor, because they handle it properly :slight_smile:

Hi @BanzaiMan! Glad to hear there’s an ongoing conversation. Are there any updates?

I’m honestly having a hard time understanding why this wouldn’t be supported, but then again I’m not involved in implementing it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We definitely need it!

Hey? Any news on that? We have hard time justifying the usefuleness of Draft PRs without this feature enabled

1 Like

In the administration panel there should be an option to enable or disable Travis for draft pull request. I really want to have Travis all the time. I work on large projects, where it is not possible to run tests locally. I need a travis for draft pull request also.

4 Likes

Just started to encourage our contributors to use Draft Pull Requests and found out they’re not getting built by Travis. Please enable by default and add a setting to allow disabling?

1 Like

Any updates on this @BanzaiMan?

1 Like

Related: Removing Draft doesn't trigger Travis - removing draft status doesn’t get a PR build

Fwiw, since I have a travis-ci account for open source stuff, the fact that a draft PR wouldn’t build in the open source repo’s travis-ci account doesn’t bother me much – because as soon as I pushed my branch to github, travis-ci picked it up there. And in my case, being able to open a draft pr while travis-ci is still running for my branch would be a good thing (especially since I want to write my PR message now and then go to a different location where I wouldn’t have my PR message – and convert the PR from draft to real once I see my travis-ci account’s build has completed successfully).

I wonder how this applies to other users, are they working on open source projects, in which case, should they just try setting up travis-ci accounts? Or are they working on closed projects, in which case, I think they can ask travis-ci to build individual branches… (And yes, I’m cognizant of the “I shouldn’t be forced to sign up for a new account” attitude, I often have share it.)

Personally, having travis-ci post a note for open source repositories explaining why it didn’t build and giving users the ability to set up their own travis-ci account seems like a reasonable path forward.

1 Like

Thank you all for your feedback and patience, I can confirm that we’re actively working on supporting Draft PRs, for that, we’ve had to update how we identify if a Pull Request should trigger a build or not, for example, PRs that are not mergeable won’t trigger a build.

We’ll post an update as soon as this is out, we’re taking this opportunity to also simplify a bit our logic around this :slight_smile:

I think you’re overcomplicating it. :confused:

for example, PRs that are not mergeable won’t trigger a build.

This sounds like a bad idea to me – there are valid use cases when PRs are non-mergeable and should still build, for example any non-rebased work (rebasing could be quite a lot of work in many cases).

If you see issues with how we handle Draft PRs, please open new topics. Thanks.

1 Like

@BanzaiMan,

Building draft PRs should be an option and not default behavior. And the default should be to NOT build drafts. This enables a PR to be updated without triggering builds after each revision. Think about it - a PR can be switched to draft to temporarily stop the upstream repo from rebuilding the PR while revisions are taking place then switched back to open when the author feels that the PR is in a proper state for the upstream repo to do their own tests.

Keep in mind - the whole point of a draft PR is to say - this PR is NOT ready for review!!!

If this becomes standard practice - everybody can save on building resources.

1 Like

You can already skip builds as necessary with a commit tag.

1 Like

Which says nothing about building it or not. If you want to opt-out your PR from CI build you can use [skip ci] in the commit message (regardless of being draft or not).

1 Like

Thanks!

I’d like to save computing resources and skip CI for Drafts. Actually, I expected this to be the default behavior.

How do you disable all builds for Drafts ? (I know of [skip ci] for each commit, but I’m rather looking for a setting in Travis-CI)